Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
- Candidates must be a US citizen, non-citizen national, or a US permanent resident;
- Applicants must be able to commit to 1 full year in the TBS Program, though priority will be given to those able to commit to 2 full years;
- No applicant may have a US government training award including a National Research Service Award for more than 2 years at the time of award activation;
- Applicants must have a primary mentor from a GHUCCTS institution who has sufficient research funding and resources to support the applicant’s research for at least two years at the time of award activation;
- All candidates must demonstrate a commitment to translational biomedical research.
- Pre-doctoral students who have completed their qualifying exams in PhD programs at Howard or Georgetown Universities and are in good standing. Note: Students with more than 4 years of National Research Service Award (NRSA) support are ineligible to apply for funding through the TL1 mechanism.
- Post-doctoral fellows who have a primary appointment at Georgetown or Howard Universities, a MedStar Institution or the Washington VA Medical Center. Note: Postdoctoral fellows with more than 2 years of NRSA support are ineligible to apply for funding through the TL1 mechanism. Postdoctoral fellows must have full-time employment at a GHUCCTS institution for at least one month at the time of award activation.